Instructors: Oh Susanna, Don Kerr and Paul Linklater
Tuesday, August 1 – Friday, August 4, 2017, 9am – 3:30pm each day
Early Bird Fee: $449 + GST (Until to June 1)
Regular Fee: $499 + GST
Deposit: $125 + GST
Scholarships and Bursaries are available for all Island Mountain Arts Programs, Link here for details.
To register call 1-800-442-2787 or online below.
You can also mail a cheque to Island Mountain Arts, Box 65, Wells, BC, V0K 2R0
Musicians with their songs registered through SOCAN are eligible to apply for a Songwriting Workshop Grant through FACTOR for up to $750. Deadline is ongoing so get yours in as soon as possible, at least 3 months prior!
Special Events included with Tuition:
- Monday, July 31st, 7pm: Student Welcome Reception, IMA Gallery (2323 Pooley Street) – Meet your instructor and pick up your student information packages.
- Tuesday, August 1st, 5:30pm: Student BBQ, School, free for students
- Wednesday, August 2, 7:30pm: Instructor Concert – Sunset Theatre, $20, free for students
- Friday, August 4, 6pm: ArtsWells Festival Opening, students performance TBA.
- The ArtsWells Festival Of All Things Art runs from Friday, July 29 – Monday, August 1, 2016 and features over 100 musical acts on 10 stages throughout Wells and Barkerville, plus workshops, an ArtWalk, the One Minute Play Festival and fun stuff for kids. See www.artswells.com for details. Consider sticking around after your workshop! Workshop participants save 50% on an ArtsWells Weekend Pass!
IMA students also receive free admission to Barkerville Historic Town and many discounts to local businesses.
Oh Susanna is the musical name of singer-songwriter Suzie Ungerleider. Performing since 1996, she has released seven critically acclaimed albums. She is the recipient of a Genie Award for Best Original Song and a Canadian Folk Music Award for English Songwriter of the Year. She has also been nominated for two Juno Awards each for Best Roots and Traditional Album of the Year, as well as two Canadian Folk Music Awards for Best Solo Performer and for Best Contemporary Singer of the Year. This year she is releasing A Girl in Teen City, an album of songs set in 1980s Vancouver starring a teenage punk girl named Suzie. Oh Susanna lives in Toronto with her husband and son.
Don Kerr is a Canadian multi-instrumentalist and record producer. He is the drummer, lead singer and songwriter of Toronto band Communism, founded in 2014. He also plays drums and sings with Ron Sexsmith, Rheostatics, Bidiniband, and has played with Bahamas, The Hidden Cameras, Bob Wiseman, Evalyn Parry, Veda Hille, Minotaurs, and many more. Don has also written songs with Neko Case and Gord Downie, and composed scores for 3 full length documentary films.
A prolific songwriter, Paul Linklater's career has taken him from one end of Canada to the other (from Newfoundland to Haida Gwaii!), as well as, the US and the UK. He has played on dozens of recordings and performed with many music legends -Ron Sexsmith, Mike O'neill, Andy Kim, Dan Hill, Chris Murphy, Tom Wilson and Jon K Samson, and has played in bands such as the Rheostatics, Bidiniband and Communism. Paul is currently teaching songwriting at the University of Toronto. Read Paul's full bio here.